An update to various voter-approved bond projects was presented at Tuesday’s regular meeting of the Las Cruces Public Schools Board of Education. Several projects are currently in the design phase, including:
- A new multipurpose room and kitchen renovation at Desert Hills Elementary. That project now goes out to bid next January.
- The LCPS Operations Facility, which will be located off Tashiro Road, is currently under design, as well as the Mayfield High School Facilities Masterplan, which is 40 percent complete. A separate presentation to the board detailed a complete renovation at Mayfield, which first opened in 1965.
- A new HVAC upgrade at Organ Mountain High School is 20 percent complete.
- Design for a Career and Technical Education building at Mesa Middle School is 95 percent complete.
- Design to renovate a classroom for Career and Technical Education at Organ Mountain High School is 95% complete.
- Nurse suite renovations at Tombaugh, Booker T. Washington, Mesilla Park, Mesilla, and Conlee elementary schools, along with Sierra Middle School are also in the design process.
An update on the new construction of Columbia Elementary, which was demolished earlier this year following a mold infestation, was also provided. The schematic design was approved following several public and student input meetings and has now been submitted to the Public Schools Finance Authority and approved.
New construction projects in the district are also moving along, including:
- MacArthur Elementary School, where framing of a new nurse's office is progressing, along with foundation and structural steel work.
- Hillrise Elementary is nearing the completion of Phase 1, which includes new restroom facilities, a re-roof of renovated classrooms and HVAC upgrades. When completed, the school will have a new multipurpose room and kitchen, five new classrooms and new restrooms.
- Construction at Lynn Community Middle School to upgrade the HVAC and lighting and secure the main entrance with a secure vestibule is underway.
- Fairacres ES had a preconstruction meeting. When completed, the school will have a new multipurpose room and kitchen, a new classroom wing and new restrooms.